I recently received an email from a person that will remain nameless that basically said "hey, where have you been, I want pictures, I want to know about your experiences, write a blog ASAP!!!"
So here I am writing a blog, not so ASAP but soon enough. The wife and I have been busy with, well, just life. Work is starting to pick up for her and I just started my third month of Deutsch after having slightly more than a month off. To be honest, the next time, if there is a next time, that I have a long break, I promise that I'll study more. My classmates are handing me my lunch everyday in class. They are dominating me like I live I play for the post Lebron Cleveland Cavs. Sometimes I think they're more motivated because they'll probably be in Switzerland forever, through marriage or for job opportunities and at times the government is sponsoring their classes as a form of unemployment. I need to step up my game big time. Switzerland has an amazing "natural unemployment" of 2-3.5%. From what I remember from my economics course, 5-6% is phenomenal, but I'm getting off point here quickly and often. In slightly more than a month's time, I was able to travel to Dublin, stop off in London for some Premiere League soccer, shred some powder, the legal kind, in both Zermatt and St. Moritz, and take a quick trip to Prague. Oh and I can't forget we had two visits from friends that live in the States. Not a bad URLAUB at all, not bad at all.
| Hallo Fur! |
In keeping with tradition, I signed up for ski lessons with an instructor. Pretty funny, but all my ski instructors have been NON-Swiss. I guess the Swiss don't like speaking English-only on slopes with me but after we settled in, I didn't have a problem with Juan. Juan was from Argentina and couldn't help but flirt with my wife on the way up to the kiddie ski area. He carried her skis, he basically picked her up and put her in the horse carriage, of course all while ignoring me. HELLO, I'm taking the ski lesson. My wife assured me it was just the latin charm culture thing but I know flirting when I see flirting and THAT had nothing to do with latin charm. I think he even asked me if I lived in Chicago with my wife too, as if we would live in different places or I was a stranger or something. But after that, Juan and I, had a great training session. I think everyone would be proud of me. I only fell once and it happened when the T bar abruptly stopped on in the kiddie area. I think some kid pulled a "Farah" and ran into power station house. So it's official, I like skiing and will probably take a trip once a year to hit the slopes. I even had a few runs with my wife without getting freaked out by the other speed demons.
After skiing and dinner, we decided to go back to a Bar, Lounge, Restaurant called Posthaus. We went to Posthaus the previous night, on recommendation from our hotel concierge. Just like the previous night, the owner/host made fun of the wife and me when we didn't have a reservation and EVERYONE in the bar kept staring at my wife and me. Very odd. Don't get me wrong. Being the handsome, tall, African American male that I am, it's pretty common to get the glances but this was quite different. Our host mentioned that the boring/non-smoking section was available but the cool smoking section was being saved for reservations only. Another side bar. My wife and I know how the Swiss roll. Even on weekdays, it's best to make a reservation. I'm not sure why we thought it would be fine to just roll up on St. Moritz like we owned the place. But guess what? Both evenings we were seated in the cool smoking section even though neither one of us smoke and we obviously didn't have a reservation. We even got primo people-watching seats on the second night when a better spot became available. If you've been reading my blogs, you know how my mind works. Something is not right here. It's like feeding the pig all year for the big surprise that the pig is going to be dinner on Thanksgiving, xmas or some big family holiday. So when the waitress came over and said, "Cuba Libre for you and Sauvignon Blanc for the Misses?" the red alerts went off! This was a completely different waitress from the previous night and how did she know what we were drinking? I was sure that someone was outside waiting for us. Don't know why or what for but random people don't remember drink orders from people they didn't serve and did I mention everyone in the place was staring at me like the last Turkey in the store the day before Thanksgiving. My wife knew by the look on my face what I was thinking and said, "I think they think you're famous or something. How does it feel?" Ummm, it didn't feel comfortable but at the end of the night, there was no one waiting for us outside. Everyone kept being friendly and I just soaked up all the celebrity attention. I think my wife enjoyed it the most though!
St. Moritz, where Furs and Minks go to relax!
Oh and before I depart for dinner. I wanted to highlight....um...brag about my first dinner that involved more than just warming up items. I actually researched this dish and purchased some fresh products....and less than 35 minutes to prepare and cook.
| Thyme, Parsley, garlic and break crumbs. |
| COD. |
| For conversion |
| Laptop for videos and recipe. |
| Yummy |
| All gone, one of my wife's favorite dishes! |
Bis Bald!
This blog post was great! Smooth moves on the slopes. Loved the video. I can't believe you didn't take better advantage of the 'famous person' attention. Not even a bottle of champy or something?!?!
ReplyDeletePS. Impressed with your culinary skills. The fish looked delicious!