Tuesday, October 19, 2010

FLAT TIRED

Post Anniversary Dinner Suisse Bar Crawl


A few readers are probably worried about me and my wife because of riots, strikes, and shenanigans that are happening in France.  Rest assured, we are safe, sound, and relaxing in our new digs.  The French strikes are very serious and I look forward to seeing how the government votes on increasing the retirement age from 60-62.  The last time we were in Europe we walked through an austerity protest in Greece.  I guess we're just the kind of "risk" that European countries try to avoid.  Switzerland, on the other hand, seems to be able to handle our presence with it's high prices, wonderful chocolate, and mix of Italian, French, and German cuisine (Still trying to figure out how they stay so thin!)

Today is the least amount of fun I've had since I've been here, mostly because I'm just tired.  I'm on the front-end of a 12 month vacation, how dare I be tired right?  We moved from our hotel to our new flat (apartment) and as the resident house husband that task fell on my broad shoulders.  It's actually been a great day, I just sat around our place, ate chocolate, picked up some take away (Swiss version of take-out) and watched a great deal of CNN.  CNN...it's one of the few english speaking channels that we have but I'm going to return to the U.S a more worldly knowledgeable young man.  Did you know that in Nairobi when you learn to drive, they also teach you how to escape car-jackings as they average 10 per day.  Oh, I also did some grocery shopping, brushed my teeth and took a shower.  The latter two will make my wife very happy.  I digress....our flat is nice, 75 square meters...a quick conversion...1 square meter = 10.7 square feet, so just multiply by 10.  Our freight delivery with our clothes arrived this morning and I realized that, maybe, just maybe, that my wife packed too much stuff.  9 boxes and 85% of which is  the wife's.  You don't really understand it until you see it.  I was going to be nice and go through the clothes but it became one of those tasks that was, well, over my head...Which clothes to unpack? Which clothes to keep in storage?, Which clothes to throw out and pretend never arrived?... ahhhh, my head almost exploded.  So I just watched CNN and looked out the window thinking, "I'm in Zurich, I should be out exploring, eating chocolate, climbing the Swiss alps, wearing my K-Swiss, listening to Swizz beats, cutting swiss cheese with my swiss army knife"  (Thanks Grier and KC for that one) Tomorrow, I'm taking my first day-trip, just give me this one day of donothingness, just one day.  Ok, my 4 minute movie that I filmed of our flat is not loading, so I'll just have to upload some pics instead...











As you can see, not a bad life we have over here...in about a month and half we'll be moving to a larger flat with a second bedroom just in case some folks want to visit us.  And yes, I'll be largely responsible for moving all OUR (my 15% too!) things to the new place about 5 blocks away.

Source of Exploding Head





No comments:

Post a Comment