I also like the feeling of looking over a great city, almost as if I just conquered it and named said city after myself...not quite. Lastly, it's something I probably wouldn't do back home for a variety of reasons; Me and Heights don't really get along, something to do with my knees getting wobbly and me collapsing to the ground and at the core I'm a city kid, skyscrapers, taxi-cabs, and corrupt politics. So I set off on my adventure. I want to apologize in advance because I packed up my new ChicagoBooth bag with IPOD, camera, FLIP camcorder, and gulp, laptop. Yep, my laptop, so that I could take notes and hit up the office (Starbucks) to start the blog. I don't know anyone else that does that so hopefully I didn't offend too many hikers. The people want the pics and Zurich news, who am I to starve them for what they crave. Who am I to deny them their literary pleasure. Turns out I didn't need the laptop and it was just extra weight. Oops. Yep, much better mood, it actually might have something to do with the Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, Adelle, Beyonce, Lady Antebellum, and Bushels (shot out to Mal Jones and his band from Uetliberg) that I'm blasting on my IPOD. Or it could just be me.
| That "hill" behind those people is my destination. |
It was pretty frigid this morning as I set out on foot for the Haufbahnhof, a.k.a main train station. My landmark is the River Limmalt. If I can locate the Limmalt, I can get North and South pretty easy. On my walk north towards Haufbahnhof, across the river I see Fraumunster Church which sits pretty much across the River from Grossmunster Church. These churches are legends of Zurich, both playing key roles in Zurich's religious reformation period. At this point, I'm walking on the east side of the river and pass three Starbucks on my way to train.
The ticket attendant tells me that the train comes every 30 minutes, which means, at that time, I have 25 minutes to kill. Walking around the station I find an open air market and make my first street purchase. Hmm, Hmmm good! In Zurich you get your meat with a piece of bread and from what I gather, in one hand you hold your meat and in the other you hold your bread, you take a bite of the meat and then take a bite of the bread, repeat until your hands are empty. I'm pretty much a 6 to 7 bite guy.
| Moo Moo Vacation |
Take a Look:
As you can see, I literally had to walk through the clouds to see these amazing sights. It was pretty awesome. On my way down, the clouds were starting to clear, opening up for some panoramic delights, but i'm going to save those for when my wife and I venture up there this weekend. It is SO worth another peak (intentional), especially with my wife. Two amazing views, who am I to complain!
This morning I woke with a goal to have a better day than yesterday and worse than the next. In the process, I realized, albeit temporary, that I live in Zurich, Switzerland.
...and I don't mind it.
No comments:
Post a Comment