Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Where Santa Vacations...Strasbourg, Noel Capital of the World.

Night time in Strasbourg

You better watch out, You better not cry, better not pout...Haha.  Yes, the wife and I got into the Christmas spirit by traveling to Strasbourg, France to take in some Christmas markets, look for gifts, and in general see what the big deal was all about.  In my humble opinion, I believe that when Santa goes on vacation he travels to Strasbourg.  It's crazy, Strasbourg has everything that Santa would need if he missed the North Pole.  I think we even saw a stable to keep the reindeer!  One of the great things about living in Schweiz is that traveling to Italy, German, Austria or France is literally an extended train ride away.  I'm not talking about a high speed train from Chicago to somewhere in Iowa, just a regular train to Strasbourg, sixth largest city in France, in about 2 hours.  Downtown Zurich to Downtown Strasbourg.  Pretty nice to walk three blocks to the hotel from the train station.

Surprisingly enough, the first thing we noticed on our walk to the Hotel was the McDonald's on the corner.  Maybe Strasbourg IS a big city but on Sunday my wife mentioned that we did not see a Starbucks...so it's somewhere in between.  But if it's good enough for Santa, it's good enough for me.

Upon arrival, we took some recommendations from the hotel hostess.  In typical fashion, the wife decided to navigate on her own to find what looked like authentic Franco-Germanic cuisine.  In typcial fashion, I just followed and tried to keep my extremities warm.  It was very cold (but nothing like the next day) and we found a restaurant that looked, from the outside, like it sold beef, oysters, and fish.  The wife's "authentic radar" was spot on tonight...the french menu proved to be more of a challenge.  Walking out of the restaurant, we couldn't help but notice that all the buildings had xmas lights.  Ornaments hung above and many restaurants and shops displayed xmas themed promotions.   What noticed more were the prices.  My wife pointed out a La Furla purse and how she might need to add something like that to her collection and I almost broke the window to get it.  In Zurich a purse like that would cost 500chf or $500 (yes american).  I would have gladly left 200CHF even though it only cost 125CHF.  Just when I get used to the $25 burger in Switzerland, I go somewhere like France and quickly get re-calibrated.  When in Rome right????  Yes, I know it makes no sense but I love saying "When in Rome right???"



Two Hour Trip and we're still smiling...At a lounge after Dinner 
Almost all buildings put up decorations...look at T bundled up...brrr!!

The next day we were treated to fun treats: spiced wine, hot coco, hot orange juice, hot cider and oh did I mention treats.  Spiced wine was the biggest hit of the day.  After walking around for 4 hours in sub freezing temperatures, the wine was very welcome.  We spoke to some vendors about their art work and took in many "free" samples.  It still amazes me how often the Swiss, French, and Germans give away free treats.  I wish the world would adopt these freebie policies.  I'ms sure violence would decrease and smiles would increase per capita.

Take a look at the pictures....I wanted to take more pictures of all the xmas stands but then I would have looked like a creep (so my wife tells me) but I can try to describe some of them...Xmas ornaments, arts and crafts, xmas lights, xmas stockings, chocolate stands with bars of chocolate, chocolate stands with chocolates stuffed with marshmellows.  Oh wait, imagine the taste of chicago but instead of food, it's all xmas ornament shops, arts and crafty items, and chocolate stands and not just at Grant Park, but in every park around the city.  Definitely a great way to kick off the Holiday Season.


Sehen sie!







Traditional German Dish






Sausage with Pomme Frittes. Hmm.
Three Hours of walking around and she's still smiling!











French Alsace...check!

Next up skiing in a couple weeks, maybe even the ALPS....oh and we move to our more permanent flat on Friday.

1 comment:

  1. i love how in the doll picture, all of the dolls are dressed in their sunday best. except for that one chick who decided to wear jeans.

    ReplyDelete