| Winter Wonderland - Uetliberg, Schweiz |
Okay, where was I.........ah yes, Christmas time and Santa bringing us many gifts. I'm not sure if I went into a great detail about Christmas, but it was pretty cool, at least from where I was sitting in the Christmas post-elfing circle. Between ALL of my family members, I believe I received, literally, least 90 movies. I guess when you put "english movies" on your wish list and you've been a good boy, Santa rewards you with many gifts. As the temporary Hausmann, I also received a hand-mixer, which at first I thought was a gag gift. But my wife informed me that it was actually so we could make mashed potatoes. So not only did I get socks, pajamas, movies, shoes, and a belt....I also got a hand-mixer and mashed potatoes on xmas. Then to top it off, they flew in a potato specialist from Idaho. Thanks KC! ALL for me.
SIDE STORY ALERT!!!! SIDE STORY ALERT!!!! SIDE STORY ALERT!!!!
Every day and every hour leading up to Christmas day, I kept asking/bugging my wife about mashed potatoes. And her response was, "I'm not mashing potatoes by hand, it will take far too long and I don't think they would be any good that way" In typical me fashion I responded, "Mashed potatoes have been around for centuries, if people back in the day can do it we can do it too! I'm sure my mom and your mom would....." I was pretty much stopped with a long stare at that point and didn't finish my sentence. But what I was thinking was I'm sure our parents have made mashed potatoes by hand once or twice and if there loving son asked them nicely, with his beautiful smile, to conjure up some mashed potatoes, they would oblige such a request.
HUSBAND ALERT!!!!! HUSBAND ALERT!!!!! HUSBAND ALERT!!!!! HUSBAND ALERT!!!!!
Never compare your wife to your own mother or her mother unless it is without a doubt an absolute compliment. Please note that some things may sound like a compliment and actually be meant as a compliment but are not received as a compliment. It is wise to steer clear of any comparisons unless you are advanced in mother - daughter or mother-in law daughter comparisons. In thirty one years, I have yet to meet such a man but I'm sure he's out there somewhere.
Back to our original program.
Everything was delicious and the mashed potatoes were absolutely special, made with love. My parents are coming in May and I just want them to know that bringing 3-4 sweet potato pies is quite feasible, especially since the in-laws brought some treats via carry-on. NO PRESSURE. I probably just broke another "rule" but I love me some sweet potato pie. The rewards far outweigh the risks.
Speaking of movies, we received quite a few classics from the 20 Century Fox Catalogue including but not limited to M.A.S.H, Home Alone, Sound of Music, and Avatar. So during the holidays we watched several of the movies, but Home Alone and The Sound of Music stand out to me. I'm not much of musical type but the in-laws and my wife I think grew up on that stuff. I don't know what was better/funnier, watching the movies or watching my father-in-law watch the movies. My wife told me a story that when she was younger, her dad took her to see Home Alone while he was battling a cold. Well I guess she never went to see a movie with him again because he laughed the entire movie really loudly. This Christmas was very similar, without the cold. If we tried to have a side conversation about something else, he would tell us to watch the movie because we were always going to "miss the best part" That movie must have had 25 "best" parts. Or he would laugh out loud while elbowing whomever was next to him and say "did you see that...he stepped on the nail" It was pretty classic. With The Sound of Music it was basically sing along time for him and quiet time for the rest of us. If we dared sing, he would say "come on guys this is a great song and I want to hear it"
It was absolutely classic. I will say this, I'm still not a musical fan but the So long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye song was pretty darn clever. I can't get it out of my head...the sun has gone to bed and so must I! Moments like those will always be remembered and make Christmas time fun.
Over the next couple days after xmas, we took a trip up to Uetliberg and a day trip to Luzern. You may recall that Uetliberg is one of the first trips I took on my own. It's a typical Swiss destination. In the non-winter seasons, folks hike the mountain trails and take in the views that overlook Zurich. In the winter season, folks bring there children to go tobogganing and sledding down the many hills that sit atop the mountain. While it's only a few several hundred feet higher than Zurich, there was quite a bit more snow in Uetliberg. Coupled with the lack of wind, it made for a very picturesque trip as the snow settled perfectly on the trees and it's branches.
| Killer Hats - Uetliberg |
We also took a little day trip to Luzern and in spite of the bitter cold we managed to take some pretty cool pictures with the help of our trusty choreographer KC. As you can see, Luzern is smaller than Zurich but has some pretty sights as well. It also has quite a few amazing Catholic churches. It's pretty crazy when you stumble upon one of these churches. At first glance, you think, "ok it's a church, nothing too impressive" and then you go inside and you think, "WOW, this was built xxx years ago" Some of the churches had minimal light fixtures but were very bright. Never underestimate architecture and design. The trip to Luzern was a nice little get away for us and a wonderful adventure to wind down the family visit.
The worse part of the week was having to say goodbye to my wife's family. Shortly after that, we went through family withdrawal. Along with vino, food, and unlimited hugs withdrawal!
| Welcome to Luzern - Coldest day of the year at negative 12 |
| Must be popular in Idaho because KC made us take this one! (Not sure what Bogner is doing back there) |
| Umm, excuse me ma'am but you're in our Xmas photo shot |
| We're holding up that tree |
| Mother and Daughter |
| Captain and his Boo |
| Haha |
| KC's head tilted left - Water Feature, Stadelhoferplatz |
| KC's head tilted right |
Next up New Year's Eve and Amsterdam.
Almost forgot, we're going to Zermatt to ski in a week. Can't wait to experience and write about my second go around, with my helmet of course.
Bis Bald
Tree huggers!!!
ReplyDelete"Never underestimate architecture and design." Glad you finally get it. I'm hanging on to that quote in my back pocket . . . have a feeling it'll come in handy one day amongst discussion. ;)
ReplyDelete